Friday, September 21, 2012

Why aren't more people vegan?


When I first became vegetarian, and then vegan, it was like someone switched on the lights. I had no idea why more people couldn't see the world how I did. Do you want animals to suffer at our hands? No? Then why aren't you vegan?

Most people absolutely want to do the right thing, but to really understand why they aren't we need to see things from their point of view.

We all still drive our cars

Let's look at another issue. We all care about the environment. This is really crazy: we have sea levels rising, oil spills, climate change, we are on the brink of one of the largest extinctions, but we all still drive our cars.

But what choice do I have? I live in an area with no sidewalks, no public transport, I would cycle, but there aren't any showers at work. I feel trapped, like I want to do the right thing, but I can't.

We need to hear about the solution!

People often feel the same way about veganism: they know eating less meat is healthier and they don't really like to think of animals being killed, but they only know how to cook with meat, and where would they get their protein? Plus, milk and meat and eggs are in everything, right?

People don't want to hear the problem, we all already know the problem. We need to hear about the solution!

Show them just how easy it is!!

Bashing a sign on my windshield telling me I'm killing the planet won't make any difference other than to make me dislike you. Try starting a ride sharing scheme, that will save the world and put a few extra dollars in my pocket. It's a win-win situation.

When you see someone eat a burger, don't call them a murderer, they already know what meat is. Buy them a Gardein beefless burger!  Show them just how easy it is!! Better yet, throw them a few vegan coupons, put some dollars back in their pocket too for doing the right thing. It won't take many ethical meals until they form a life long habit of good ethics.

No comments:

Post a Comment