Thursday, November 22, 2012

Vegans - aren't we so entitled?

Nothing gets my blood boiling more than people who choose to eat meat saying that vegans feel entitled. I remember talking to my dad about my wedding and how it, of course, would be vegan. He says to me, "I think you should have some non-vegan options for the non-vegans."

"Are you being serious??" was my natural reply as my eyebrows hit the roof.

"Yeah," he says, "when you go to a normal wedding they have special options for the veggies, so you should be polite to your guests and have some non-vegan options for the non-vegans."

I had to wait about ten seconds  to compose myself before I replied, or I'm sure I'd have said something I'd regretted.

"Well now," because of course all good retorts start with a nicely placed ' well now.' "Well now, if you were invited to a Jewish wedding would you expect them to serve bacon?"

"No, but..."

"No, Dad. There are no 'buts' you don't have to be vegan to eat vegan food! Do you have to be Chinese to eat Chinese food? Why would you expect me to violate my deepest principle on what's supposed to be one of the happiest days in my life?"

"Grumble, grumble, grumble."

I think that it's rather an entitlement to expect some poor innocent creature to lay down its whole life just because you like the taste of it.

However, as vegans we must be doing something wrong since this attitude still prevails. Next time I'm invited to a celebration I'll explain that I'll bring the damn vegan roast so they don't have to lift a finger, and what's more I'll let them all have some, and I'll make them all vegan brownies that will blow them away.

As humans we consider ourselves a very entitled species. We need to be on the cutting edge of showing everyone just how great it can be to be humble.

Prime example, Obama on Israel, "There's no country on earth that would tolerate missiles raining down on its citizens from outside its borders."

Hello? Maybe he killed irony in one of his drone attacks on Asian soil.

This sort of BS is even coming from the President of the United States, who otherwise is a pretty cool guy - but I suppose that's no surprise. I don't mean to get too political here, but it's just another prime example of human arrogance where it's ok for us to do it, but God forbid someone does it to us.

Vegans are the least entitled, every food choice, clothing choice, an umpteen other choices we make we are considering other people, animals, the environment, future generations. I'll be, and forgive the cliche, totally transparent here: before I was vegan I really liked meat, cheese, eggs and all the rest of it...I also like carnal pleasures, but I don't think it's ok for me to rape; I get angry, but I don't think it's ok for me to assault; I get hungry, but I don't think it's ok for me to murder!

How do we suggest this in a non-offensive way? By upsetting the omnivores amongst us we're not going to help them make the right choices. Sometimes we just need to bite our tongues, cool it, count down from ten, smile and say, "Hey, don't worry about me, I'll bring the vegan food!" then make sure it's the best food they've ever tasted.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone. This year I'm so thankful for being vegan, for the growing popularity of veganism and for all of you vegan heroes out there spreading the good word that no blood has to be spilled for a good meal!



2 comments:

  1. I hated how people acted like it was such a huge inconvenience that it was a vegan-only wedding, and my Mom also made the comment about how it was "rude" to "impose our beliefs on everyone." I overheard several people talking about the vegan cupcakes: "Oh, they're actually GOOD.... for vegan cake." UGH.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yup, there seems to be a widely held perception that to taste good something needs to have suffered and died.

    ReplyDelete