Monday, January 21, 2013

The Sanctuary

This weekend I was privileged enough to visit Maple Farm Sanctuary http://www.maplefarmsanctuary.org/ it was an honor to meet the staff and all of the beautiful animals in their care. The had a lot of retired dairy cattle, such as the ones pictured below:


They had rescued chickens, geese, ducks, llamas, horses, goats, veal calves, a turkey, a couple of seagulls (with amputated wings - they got caught on fishing lines :( ) sheep and a great big pig called Jonathan!

This is why I am a vegan, because no animal should be robbed of their life, it is all they have. If I say I would rather kill one of these animals than eat an alternative just because I hold the flavor of their flesh in preference to that of something that does suffer immensely for my tastes, then what right do I have to call myself compassionate?

Now I'm back at work and I'm surrounded by otherwise decent people eating meat! Advocacy and outreach are so important. We are up against years of egg/dairy/meat industry advertising, but the tide will soon change, just as slavery of mankind was outlawed, so will be the slavery of our fellow animals. However, this will not happen without our efforts! My advise: go for the lowest hanging fruits, speak to those around you who already trust and respect you, nag them - the animals are counting on YOU! Speak to those who are intellectual and open minded, tailor the message for your audience and for the planet, for our fellow humans and for the animals, we can do it!

1 comment:

  1. Such a nice post! I would like to do this in a future when I'll be retired and so. That is really compassion. Nice to know that exist a farm like this. So lovely!

    ReplyDelete